Wednesday, February 2, 2011

2 Day Freeze

The STL Metro was luckier than thought; the 2 bands of heavy ice and snow missed the core area by about 40 miles/70 km. Drifting snow is now accumulating slowly on the back side of the low pressure center (which went right over the Arch). The center band that hit us was mostly sleet, with light snow on top. Temps are expected to be below freezing for the next 24-48 hrs, and winds are expected to be relatively high (25-50 mph). This is due to the backside of the low bringing rapid circulation. De-Icing will be the primary concern: Power lines. Travel is hazardous.

As usual, I filled the refrigerator and shelves with stuff on Sunday night. Scruffy is coming back quickly from his trips to the back yard. Lots of soup...

I should be doing postponed interior projects, but have mostly been hibernating. We're off work for tomorrow as well. MODOT and IDOT have most of the interstates closed. Local roads are marginal at best, and dangerous otherwise. Perhaps I might get some work done today.

Local forecasts:

http://www.wunderground.com/US/IL/Cahokia.html

http://www.wunderground.com/US/MO/Saint_Louis.html

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lsx/

My freedom from the political board is most liberating. I've spent most of my day off of the computer.

Saw an interesting phrase: Do not regret the life not lived. It's well to remember that. One day at a time, indeed.

What brings this up is that there have been major reductions in our workforce announced Friday. I heard the bullets go by, others around me got hit. Not a pleasant thing to watch friends go down. For me, they always said that the living would envy the dead (cue Tina Turner). More work, same pay. Choose.

Scuffy needs to be fed.

Good thing, to have some time to recover.

On a lighter note, many of the European boardgames are now available for mobile devices. My Android device is lagging the Apple releases, but eventually I will be able to play my friends by smart phone. Medici, which I played for the first time Saturday, is a notably fun game, which is being ported over. Now, we need Acquire and Power Grid. I suspect this will happen for many of the old classics as well. Anything to save fuel, time, and bad weather risk.

Back to waiting it out.

Wally.

No comments: