Saturday, February 14, 2009

Saturday The Fourteenth! Observations

Well, today I went and bought myself something incredible:

A shredder.

For a compulsive collector like myself, this was a momentous decision.

Into the Rubbermaid tubs that held three decades worth of bank statements, etc. will go the (seldom used) games and books that are taking up needed horizontal space on tables, chars, and such.

I may even see my computer desk again.

M. De Poisson got rid of his immense comics collection years ago, followed by VHS tapes, books, and more. Being married had something to do with it.... I'm forced to now by the fact that every week for the next fourteen months will be like this one: My boss is leaving for Afghanistan, on deployment. He's been run ragged by our higher echelons, and unavailable much of the time for me. By Friday The Thirteenth, my body just said no.

I need to simplify to survive.

You might have noted that there have been no links posted in the last week. That's how busy it's been. I've got five open browser windows waiting to be dumped into a giant links post. I might spare us all the agony.

Going also are the domain names I've never used, e-mail accounts, forums I no longer participate in, games and electronics to be put up on EBay, and more. Time to slim down.

One pesky problem is the sheer volume of drawings and gaming notes from three decades of GM'ing. Not to mention the boxed, typewritten manuscripts (no personal computers in those days). No way am I going to be able to key those by hand. Kinko's might have a scan-to-PDF service. Somebody must have.

In the end, hopefully, I'll have several dozen empty Rubbermaid tubs, and some easy-to-port files.

It will make moving, during the Second Great Slowdown, much easier. Anything that can't be carried in the car will be abandoned. I'm an optimist. :)

No comments: