Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wenesday 25 FEB 2009 Observations

Today is truly Ash Wednesday.

My boss is starting training for his deployment Friday, commencing his 14 months of Active Duty until May 2010. Next stop after training: The Middle East.

My Higher Power handed me two pieces of comedy, from his point of view:

1) Because we are closing out a position (due to my CIO's insatiable desire to consolidate power), I'm being tasked to work that position, without additional pay.

2) Because my CIO's decision to eliminate the position, services normally counted on by our CEO were not provided (this was before I got tasked, BTW). For the first time in 8+ years, they admitted, in writing, that I was working two jobs. So sorry, no back pay, etc.

So, they created a job description, and two slots with that title (one for me), and I am to be a "co-equal" of the person that is to be selected as the second. Ironically, I'm reviewing resumes for that slot. The first thing is how desperate things are out there. Submissions included people taking 50% pay cuts.

The other thing is that I have worked essentially unsupervised for almost nine years. The person coming in will almost certainly start competing with me.

The mythical merger of equals usually plays out badly.

Did I mention that there will now be no buffer between myself, and my 1947 cohort director, once my boss leaves? Of said director, the only thing I can say is that I am at least six inches taller (more like eight) than he is. The rest will be left as an exercise for the student.

It's a good thing I've begun disposing of my personal belongings. Perhaps Larry Rice's mission for the homeless needs another EE/broadcast engineer/IT guy.

Time to go get more medicine for Max.

ADDITIONAL:

It is interesting to note that while I could (and perhaps, should) have gone hunting for more lucrative employment, when times were good, those who did are now applying for that co-worker's position. It is a humbling experience, to read the resumes. It's like reading your own obit.

Oh. I already said that. Sorry.

Note that it is when the best of the "middle" classes start feeling threatened, that actual change occurs. When educated professionals live in fear, when high-skill workers are laid off (to afford more management at higher pay), then the elites are running a great risk.

Example: Our funding/revenue has dropped. Solution: Hire a VP who was an official of the losing political party to drum up business, and fire staff to afford him. The economy drops again, the new VP is *still* on the outs, and there is no more new revenue. Brilliant.

Such is the case in early 4T's.

No comments: