Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Max's Lab Results Are Back

And, they are not good.

First, a urinary tract infection. Treatable with anti-biotics. I'm picking them up tonight.

Second, he has diabetes. Glucose levels were above 300, and showing in the urine as well. Insulin injections would be required, twice a day. Max would fight any injections, no matter how small the needle. An he would remember the injections, and come to isolate himself, when they were scheduled. He would also act out, with #1 and #2. The diabetes stresses the entire system as well.

Last, and worse, there are signs that his adrenal tumor is now active. It may already be restricting blood flow, and it may be malignant now. The adrenal tumor is inoperable, due to the proximity of the vena cava. Addison's Disease is now a distinct possibility. Max already has Cushing's Disease.

The combination of all this is that he may suffer a diabetic collapse, or a rapid decline from either Addison's, or the adrenal cancer. In the day that he has been taking the Tramadol, he has seen a release from most of the background pain, but is still easily tired. The vet said that we had caught the progress at an early stage for any one of them, but hinted that there might not be anything possible to do with the adrenal cancer.

And that cancer would drive the rest of his systems down.

Max is almost thirteen.

God's Revenge? Or perhaps Mom wants Max back. I may have to fulfill my role as parent, all too soon. I won't prolong Max's suffering.

My counselor said tonight that after all the sturm and drang, my sister and I had resolved the estate rapidly, with a perfect 50/50 split. The counselor also said that this outcome (with a wicked smirk) was probably pre-destined, as my sister and I were bound to be at odds since childhood. Both of us were all too willing to believe the worst of each other.

Max refused to kill my counselor (the counselor is a doggie person). Rats!

I'll have to let go of the Dark Side, and may have to let Max go as well.

I hate 2010.

2 comments:

Pat Mathews said...

Poor doggie. Blessings on him and on you. Though, congratulations on having the estate split so neatly, even with all the sturm und drang. My sister had everything so totally preplanned that she organized her own memorial and wake, and sent me a posthunmous Christmas present.

May you resume your life in peace and good order when the dust settles, and may all work out for the best for all concerned.

Wally said...

Thank you, Pat.