Friday, October 31, 2008

Halloween Observations

Many people have taken the day off. Some of my friends are traveling to a gaming weekend (where doggies are not permitted). Humans have no sense of humor.

So the dog and I are alone for the weekend.

The political frenzy approaches it's final apoplexy. My favorite board has been plagued by bots. Cyberattack? a new form of political warfare? In any case, most of my ramblings have been there, not here, since the Inquisition (on the board) hasn't been doing very well, lately.

The leaves are finally starting to come down.

I haven't been able to enjoy the fall as much this year, due to work. I haven't even read the almanacs, something I normally do by mid-September. Being sick twice this month has not helped.

I bought a bus/Metro pass for this month, and have used it once. Too often, I have needed to travel between work sites, overtime, from work to home or event, been too ill to ride, etc. Looks like I'll have to bring the bike in for the winter. Damn.

RANT:

Why in HELL does The Game HAVE to be MONDAY FRAKKING NIGHT?!?. Mondays are the worst, for me, since everything that has broken down over 2.5 days is waiting at 0800 Monday Morning, plus the usual Monday Panic. And why does it have to be at 1815? I have to cross town twice, first to relieve doggie, then to the game. Assuming a 1700 launch from work (dubious) I'll burn an hour and a half just running my ass off.

The answer is, of course, is that we're all in our mid-to-late forties, and are unwilling to sacrifice weekends. Monday holidays, Tuesday-Thursday classes, and Wednesday sports games all combine to make the worst night of the week the only night of the week that can be sacrificed for going back to the days of unlimited leisure. It does not help that I only get a fraction of the generous vacation time that my group's other players' employers ladle out. Plus, there are at least two regular campaigns going at any time, so a missed game means a month's wait anyway.

A monthly Saturday game would work well. The occasional Wednesday games work OK. Better to have a good day, and a good game, than to have a time clock punched weekly.

/RANT

No comments: